Sudip second to none in upholding Parliamentary values: Meira Kumar
New Delhi: Days after reprimanding him for
his "quite unbecoming" behaviour, Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday
said Trinamool Congress leader Sudip Bandopadhyay was "second
to none" in upholding the values and traditions of Lok Sabha.
"Let me make it clear that I consider you as one of the
senior and serious-minded members of the House. I have always
appreciated your contribution in the House," the Speaker said
in a letter to the TC Chief Whip.
"The House has great expectations from you. You are very
courteous in the House and I was surprised to see you getting
excited in the heat of the moment which is not your nature.
You are second to none in upholding the great values and
traditions of the House."
The Speaker`s response came in the wake of Bandopadhyay`s
letter to her claiming he had "not used any word which is
unparliamentary" against CPI(M) leader Basudeb Acharia during
a debate on the Mumbai motormen`s strike on Tuesday.
The entire Opposition, including the Left and BJP, had
sought an unconditional apology from Bandopadhyay, alleging he
had hurled expletives against the senior Left leader.
Kumar had then reprimanded him for his "quite unbecoming"
behaviour, saying "those words and the manner in which they
were said were quite unbecoming of a Member of the House. I
disapprove of such conduct".
Following this, the CPI(M) leader had "closed the
The TC leader had yesterday written a letter seeking
clarification from the Speaker claiming he had not used any
unparliamentary language as was "corroborated" by the verbatim
report of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...