Sudip second to none in upholding Parliamentary values: Meira Kumar
New Delhi: Days after reprimanding him for
his "quite unbecoming" behaviour, Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday
said Trinamool Congress leader Sudip Bandopadhyay was "second
to none" in upholding the values and traditions of Lok Sabha.
"Let me make it clear that I consider you as one of the
senior and serious-minded members of the House. I have always
appreciated your contribution in the House," the Speaker said
in a letter to the TC Chief Whip.
"The House has great expectations from you. You are very
courteous in the House and I was surprised to see you getting
excited in the heat of the moment which is not your nature.
You are second to none in upholding the great values and
traditions of the House."
The Speaker`s response came in the wake of Bandopadhyay`s
letter to her claiming he had "not used any word which is
unparliamentary" against CPI(M) leader Basudeb Acharia during
a debate on the Mumbai motormen`s strike on Tuesday.
The entire Opposition, including the Left and BJP, had
sought an unconditional apology from Bandopadhyay, alleging he
had hurled expletives against the senior Left leader.
Kumar had then reprimanded him for his "quite unbecoming"
behaviour, saying "those words and the manner in which they
were said were quite unbecoming of a Member of the House. I
disapprove of such conduct".
Following this, the CPI(M) leader had "closed the
The TC leader had yesterday written a letter seeking
clarification from the Speaker claiming he had not used any
unparliamentary language as was "corroborated" by the verbatim
report of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender