Suicide resulting from insignificant demand not harassment: HC
Mumbai: Mere demand of some article of an insignificant nature on a stray occasion by a husband from his wife does not amount to cruelty or harassment, the Bombay High Court has held while acquitting a man accused of abetting his wife`s murder.
"Harassment contemplated under Section 498(A) of the Indian Penal Code has to be of a persistent nature and is required to be in relation with an article or property of significant value," Justice PD Kode while upholding the acquittal of one Madhukar Kambari.
Madhukar was accused of harassing and abetting the suicide of his wife Vandana. The couple had married in May, 1995 but in November the same year, Vandana committed suicide by setting herself ablaze.
According to prosecution, Vandana had on two occasions complained to her father that she was assaulted at her matrimonial house after she failed to comply with her husband`s demand of bringing hens from her father`s house.
Madhukar`s advocate GS Hiranandani, however, argued that Vandana had committed suicide not because of the alleged harassment but in a spur of rage after a fight with her husband.
"Every married couple fight often but committing suicide cannot be said to a result of harassment," he argued.
Accepting the argument, Justice Kode observed, "Merely because of some demand of an insignificant nature is followed by suicide committed by the victim it would not be covered within Section 498(A). The allegation against the accused is not that he made demand for property or some other valuable security."
"The entire evidence is confined to the accused having allegedly asked the victim to bring hen on two occasions. Apart from the evidence being vague regarding the precise nature of harassment caused to the victim, it is difficult to perceive that the same can be construed as cruelty within the meaning of Section 498(A)," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly