Sukh Ram surrenders, sent to jail
New Delhi: After Delhi court’s wrap up, former Union Minister Sukh Ram, convicted in a 1993 telecom scam, surrendered on Saturday at Patiala House Court complex.
Following Sukh Ram’s surrender, the court ordered the former union minister Sukh Ram to be sent to jail in ambulance to serve his three-year sentence. In 2002, he was awarded a three-year jail term under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Sanjeev Jain came out of the court room to the ambulance to meet Sukh Ram, who is accused of showing undue favour to a cable supply company and accepting Rs 3 lakh as bribe when he was a minister.
Earlier today the court here asked Sukh Ram to surrender today failing which it would issue non-bailable warrants against the convict.
"As requested by the counsel for the convict (Sukh Ram), lock up/jail authorities are directed to provide necessary medical aid to the convict in accordance to the norms," the judge said.
Sukhram`s counsel had yesterday told the court that he had slipped into coma. However, doctors attending on him said he was not in a state of coma and only drowsy.
The doctor, who accompanied Sukh Ram in the ambulance, told the court that the "patient" was still unconscious. The judge, however, said that the doctor could accompany Sukh Ram in the ambulance till he reaches Tihar Jail.
While brushing aside Sukh Ram`s plea that he may be taken into judicial custody in the hospital itself, the judge, had instructed the court staff to inform the concerned authorities to make adequate arrangements in case Sukh Ram comes to surrender in an ambulance and unable to move on his own.
The 1993 telecom scam for which Sukh Ram has been convicted involves award of a contract to a Hyderabad firm for supplying telecom equipment to the government at exorbitant rates.
In another case, he was held guilty of possessing disproportionate assets worth Rs.4.25 crore in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam