Sukna: Court’s jurisdiction in order, accused told
Guwahati: The prosecution on Thursday rejected
Sukna land scam accused Lieutenant General (retired) Awadhesh
Prakash`s contention that the court conducting his court
martial did not have the jurisdiction to do so.
The prosecution stated that the jurisdiction of the court
and the constitution of its members were in order.
As per procedure of conducting a court martial, Prakash
was given the opportunity to challenge the constitution of the
court members who would try him.
This opportunity is given in case the accused has any
objection to any of the members being a part of the court.
After the prosecution`s reply the court was adjourned
till July 2.
The general court martial proceedings against the retired
army officer began on Monday at the 51 sub area army military
station in Narengi on the outskirts of Guwahati.
According to army officials here, several hearings will
be conducted in the first such general court martial held in
the military station and the final verdict was expected to
take some time.
Prakash was held guilty by a court of inquiry last year
prior to his retirement on January 31, 2010. His court martial
orders were given following the intervention of Defence
Minister A K Antony.
Prakash, who was the Military Secretary in former army
chief Deepak Kumar`s office, could lose rank and face a
Apart from Prakash, Lieutenant General P K Rath,
Lieutenant General Ramesh Halgali and Major General PK Sen
were also found guilty of illegally giving land near Sukna
cantonment in Siliguri in West Bengal to private builders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH