Sukna land scam: Court martial reassembles
Shillong: The general court martial (GCM), which convicted former 33 Corps Commander Lt Gen PK Rath in the Sukna land scam in West Bengal, reassembled here on Monday to reconsider his acquittal on one charge.
The General Officer Commander-in-Chief Eastern Command Lt Gen Bikram Singh ordered the GCM to reassemble at the 58 Gorkha Training Centre here.
"The confirming authority (Bikram Singh) ordered the GCM to reassemble tomorrow (Monday) to reconsider its findings of Rath being found not guilty of the first charge of intent to defraud," an Army officer said on Sunday.
"The GCM will relook its findings as it failed to properly appreciate the evidence on record and accorded due weightage to the evidence," the officer said.
Rath had been charged with intent to defraud the Army by issuing a no-objection certificate (NOC) to a private realtor to construct an educational institution on a 70-acre plot adjacent to the Sukna military station in Darjeeling district.
An eight-month-long court martial, comprising five senior Lieutenant Generals and headed by Lt Gen IP Singh, had found Rath guilty on three counts.
In January, the GCM against Rath, the first serving lieutenant general to be found guilty, recommended taking "off the rank and the precedence of appointment" with substantive effect from May 24, 2010.
Rath is the senior-most serving general to be hauled up for indiscipline. The sentence is expected in a couple of days from now.
Another senior officer, Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash, who was the military secretary when General Deepak Kapoor was the Army Chief and has now retired, is also expected to soon face a court martial in the case. The order for Prakash`s court martial was issued by Kapoor before his retirement in March 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video