Sukna: Lt Gen Prakash’s court martial in Guwahati
New Delhi: The General Court Martial (GCM) of
Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash, indicted in Sukna land scam, will now
take place in Guwahati instead of Manipur following his plea
and the Armed Forces Tribunal has asked the Army to fix a new
date for the trial, which was scheduled to start on June 15.
The decision came after the Army agreed to shift the court
martial proceedings from Leimakhong in Manipur to Guwahati
during the hearing on Prakash`s petition today.
In his petition, the former Military Secretary had
contended that Leimakhong was an insurgency-infested area and
he was facing problems in arranging a counsel to argue his
"The counsel for respondents (Army) submitted that as per
the latest instructions received by him, they are ready to
shift the venue from Leimakhong to Guwahati Cantt, Narangi.
The appellant (Prakash) also agrees," Tribunal Bench headed by
Justice Manak Mohta said in its order.
A new date for the GCM proceedings should also be fixed
and the applicant (Prakash) be given minimum 15 days to report
for the GCM in Guwahati, it said.
Indicted by a Court of Inquiry (CoI) in the Sukna land
scam last year, Prakash will face four charges in the GCM,
which will be headed by 12 Corps Commander Lt Gen Phillip
Along with Prakash, the CoI had also indicted the then
33 Corps commander Lt General P K Rath for his role in the
scam involving transfer of defence land for building an
educational institution and he has already been punished by a
GCM with severe reprimand, two-year loss of seniority and 15
years` loss of service for the purpose of pension.
- Petrol prices in major Indian cities after latest hike!
- IPL 2016: Axar Patel's four-wicket haul guides Kings XI Punjab to 23-run win over table-toppers Gujarat Lions
- Diesel prices in major Indian cities after latest hike!
- A much needed break! PM Modi spends some moments of solitude with a boat ride in Varanasi – Watch
- ISIS makes Indian terrorist its poster boy in new video to lure youth from country