Sukna scam: Lt Gen Prakash to face 4 charges
New Delhi: Indicted by a Court of Inquiry (CoI) in Sukna land scam, former Military Secretary (MS) Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash will face four charges in the General
Court Martial (GCM) which will begin next month in Leimakhong in Manipur.
Lt General Prakash has been charged with attempt to defraud, unbecoming conduct and abuse of military position while trying to favour his realtor friend Dilip Agarwal for building an educational institute on a piece of land adjacent to the Sukna Military station in West Bengal, sources said here.
The GCM would be headed by Director General (DG) Perspective Planning, Lt Gen Phillip Campose and would include other similar ranking officers as well.
Depending on the outcome of court martial, Prakash could be punished with severe reprimand or stripping of ranks and medals or could lose his pension.
Ever since the CoI indicted him Prakash has been attached to the Kolkata-based Eastern army command headquarters.
Along with Prakash, the CoI had also indicted the then 33 Corps commander Lt General P K Rath, his chief of staff Major General Ramesh Halgali and the administrative head of the Sukna military station, Major General PK Sen.
The Army has already punished Rath with severe reprimand, two-year loss of seniority and 15 years` loss of service for the purpose of pension. The verdict of the GCM is yet to be confirmed by senior authorities and the officer is
still attached with the Eastern Command.
Located 20 km from Imphal, the capital city of Manipur, Leimakhong is militant hotbed in North Eastern region and is the headquarters of Indian Army`s Mountain Division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors