Sukna scam: Lt Gen Prakash to face 4 charges
New Delhi: Indicted by a Court of Inquiry (CoI) in Sukna land scam, former Military Secretary (MS) Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash will face four charges in the General
Court Martial (GCM) which will begin next month in Leimakhong in Manipur.
Lt General Prakash has been charged with attempt to defraud, unbecoming conduct and abuse of military position while trying to favour his realtor friend Dilip Agarwal for building an educational institute on a piece of land adjacent to the Sukna Military station in West Bengal, sources said here.
The GCM would be headed by Director General (DG) Perspective Planning, Lt Gen Phillip Campose and would include other similar ranking officers as well.
Depending on the outcome of court martial, Prakash could be punished with severe reprimand or stripping of ranks and medals or could lose his pension.
Ever since the CoI indicted him Prakash has been attached to the Kolkata-based Eastern army command headquarters.
Along with Prakash, the CoI had also indicted the then 33 Corps commander Lt General P K Rath, his chief of staff Major General Ramesh Halgali and the administrative head of the Sukna military station, Major General PK Sen.
The Army has already punished Rath with severe reprimand, two-year loss of seniority and 15 years` loss of service for the purpose of pension. The verdict of the GCM is yet to be confirmed by senior authorities and the officer is
still attached with the Eastern Command.
Located 20 km from Imphal, the capital city of Manipur, Leimakhong is militant hotbed in North Eastern region and is the headquarters of Indian Army`s Mountain Division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31