Sukna scam: Lt Gen Rath to face court martial
New Delhi: For the first time in the history
of Indian armed forces, a serving Lieutenant General will face
a court martial for his alleged involvement in financial
Former 33 Corps Commander Lt Gen P K Rath will face a
court martial starting August 30 for his role in issuing a
no-objection certificate to a private realtor for building an
educational institution on a 70-acre piece of land adjacent to
the Sukna military station in West Bengal, Defence Ministry
sources told PTI here today.
The orders for convening of the court martial have
already been issued after the Summary of Evidence (SOE) held
against Lt Gen Rath recommended the continuation of
disciplinary proceedings against him, they added.
The court martial will be headed by a three-star
officer senior to Rath, they said.
Army had charged that Rath had issued the NOC to the
private realtor with an "intent to defraud" in the Rs 300
crore land scam.
Rath was indicted by an Army Court of Inquiry (COI) last
year for his role in the alleged land scam and his appointment
as the Deputy Chief of Army Staff was cancelled by the Defence
Three other generals including former Military Secretary
Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash, Lt Gen Ramesh Halgali and Maj Gen P K
Sen were also indicted by the COI.
While disciplinary action was ordered against Rath and
Prakash, Sen and Halgali faced administrative action only.
SOE in the case is still on in Kolkata against Prakash
from July 19 last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened