Summoning PM as witness `out of question`: JPC chairman
Thrissur: Chairman of the Joint Parliamentary Committee on 2G scam P C Chacko Wednesday ruled out summoning Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to depose before the panel, saying there was no such precedent.
"It is out of the question to call the Prime Minister before the JPC as witness as there is no precedent of calling the Prime Ministers before the JPCs," he told PTI here.
On reports that the BJP is likely to attend the JPC meeting tomorrow, ending its boycott of the panel to once again press for inclusion of Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram as witnesses, he said it was "most welcome".
The BJP members reported decision to attend the JPC meeting has proved that there was no justification for their boycott, he said.
On summoning Chidambaram as witness, Chacko said it would be "decided on the basis of consensus".
Referring to the allegation of CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta that the Attorney General was not called before the JPC on October 11, Chacko said he was out of the country that day.
Attorney General G E Vahanvati would be appearing before the JPC, he added.
He said the extended period of the JPC would expire by December and one more extension would be essential as only 75 per cent work was completed.
The mobile operators association had been called for tomorrow`s JPC meeting, Chacko said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video