Sunanda Pushkar died of poisoning; SDM tells police to `probe murder or suicide angle`
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Sunanda Pushkar, the wife of minister Shashi Tharoor, died of poisoning, says a report of the SDM probing her death.
Sub-Divisional Magistrate Alok Sharma has asked police to find out the cause of poisoning and also to specifically probe murder or suicide angle.
"Sunanda`s post-mortem report reveals that she died due to poison. But it will be too early to say before her viscera report if she had consumed poison or the drug consumed by her acted as poison," Sharma told a news agency.
The magistrate, who got the post-mortem examination report from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), declined to reveal its contents, saying the report was sealed.
"I have ordered a probe into the death of Sunanda Pushkar as per the findings of her post-mortem report," he said.
Significantly, Sharma, in his report, added that no family member of Sunanda doubted any foul play in her death, a report quoted sources as saying.
According to police sources, the post-mortem report submitted to the Sub-Divisional Magistrate on Monday said Pushkar died due to drug overdose.
The autopsy also found over a dozen injury marks in the upper extremity of her upper body - on one arm, hand, chin, and neck regions - and interpreted these as "scuffle marks", sources said.
The post-mortem was conducted by a three-member team of doctors headed by Sudhir K Gupta.
The autopsy report also said no food samples were found in Sunanda`s stomach which according to doctors suggested that "she had not been eating".
Sunanda Pushkar was found dead under mysterious circumstances in her room at The Leela Palace hotel here on Friday.
Police investigators had recovered two strips of alprax drug from her hotel room.
"The huge quantity of consumption of such drug may affect functioning of brain and leads to a comatose situation," said a police officer.
Pushkar`s death followed days of public spat involving her and a Pakistani woman journalist who Pushkar said was pursuing her husband. The journalist denied the charge.
At one time, Pushkar said she would divorce the minister. Later, she and Tharoor issued a statement saying they were happily married.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption