Sunita Narain stable, says cyclists in India are being edged out
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Noted environmentalist Sunita Narain, who is currently undergoing treatment in AIIMS after being hit by a speeding car while cycling on Sunday, said that cyclists are being edged out systematically to make way for cars.
"Cyclists in Indian cities are being edged out systematically to make way for cars," Narain, who heads the NGO Centre for Science and Environment, said on Monday.
Narain sustained injuries on her face, nose and both arms after being hit while cycling. Doctors treating her said today that she is recovering and her condition is stable.
"She is responding to the medicines and her condition is stable," Dr Kamran Farooque from AIIMS said.
Narain underwent a nine-hour surgery during which two titanium rods were implanted in her arms. Her nose required sutures and may need some corrective surgeries later.
The activist was hit by a speeding car in the early hours of Sunday near AIIMS when she was going to Lodhi Garden from her house in Green Park.
Narain and CSE have been vocal supporters of people`s right to walk and cycle on the roads of urban India. According to CSE, Narain cycles every day with her trainer as part of her routine.
A case of causing injuries due to rash and negligent driving has been filed at Hauz Khaz police station in this regard.
"A case has been registered against unknown persons. We are yet to record Narain`s statement as she had undergone a nine-hour surgery. Her statement would help us in the investigation," a senior police official said.
The 2005 Padma Shri awardee, Narain, has also received the World Water Prize for work on rainwater harvesting and for its policy influence in building paradigms for community based water management.
She is also the director of the Society for Environmental Communications and publisher of the fortnightly magazine, Down To Earth.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city