Sunita Williams sends warm wishes to kids on Children`s Day
Ahmedabad: Kids In India received a special `Children`s Day` message from outer space as Indian-American astronaut Sunita Williams sent out warm wishes from the International Space Station (ISS).
"Sunita Williams conveyed warm wishes to kids on the occassion of Children`s Day celebrations," Gujarat Science City`s senior scientist Narottam Sahoo said about the interactive session which was approved by USA`s National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
A team of experts set up a HAM radio link that connected to the ISS through a centre in Italy, he said, adding that it is the first ever communication to be received by school children of any state in the country, after Williams left for her second space expedition this July.
For 20 children, it was a memorable day to interact with Williams through HAM radio at the Gujarat government-run Gujarat Science City.
"Twenty children among 200 or so present here from across Gujarat, including one from Kuwait, got a chance to interact with Sunita Williams for 12 minutes through a HAM radio session," Sahoo said.
Sakshi Vagadia, a student of St Paul`s School in Rajkot, the first one to interact with Williams asked her "How do you view moon and sun from the ISS".
"It is absolutely clear from the ISS because there is no obstruction in weather. It`s a bit larger than viewed from earth," Williams replied, Vagadia`s father said.
Anirudh Nayak, a class ten student of St Xavier`s School, asked the astronaut how she keeps herself acquainted with day-to-day happenings on earth.
"Could you view solar eclipse in Australia," and "Who inspired you to take up a career in NASA," were among the several questions which kids asked Williams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown