Super 30 founder to share dais with Blair, others
Patna: Anand Kumar, the founder of Bihar`s famous Super 30 coaching centre, will share the dais with former British prime minister Tony Blair, Nobel winner Albert Fert and other global greats at a conference in the UAE next week.
"I will share the platform with Tony Blair, Albert Fert, Irina Bokova, Raila Odinga and others in the last week of March in the United Arab Emirates (UAE)," Kumar told a news agency on Friday.
He has been invited by the UAE`s Higher Colleges of Technology, which is organising the mega conference of students, Education Without Borders, March 28-31.
The event will feature a host of dignitaries and 3,700 student delegates from 129 countries. Besides Kumar, Blair and physicist Fert, Unesco head Irina Bokova and Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga are among the other speakers.
Kumar will speak on his experiences and how education could be the biggest tool for social change. His Super 30 has helped many students from underprivileged sections of society enter the prestigious Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
"I am happy that people want to listen to me for inspiration. I will keep trying to do something in future that would inspire people to do better," he added.
Kumar, who started the Ramanujam School of Mathematics in 1992, founded the Super 30 in 2002.
In the last eight years, the novel initiative has helped 212 students clear the IIT entrance test. During the last three years, all the 30 students of the institute made it to the IITs, drawing worldwide attention.
Most of the successful candidates have come from the most underprivileged sections of society. They are provided free food, lodging and free coaching.
The students have to pass a competitive test to get into Super 30 and then commit themselves to a year of 16-hour study each day, Kumar said.
Last year Anand shared his experience with Hollywood producer and director James Cameron at a conference in the township of Lavasa in Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars