Support for Khap Panchayats swells
Khaithal/New Delhi: After their threat to
lay siege to his house, Congress lawmaker Navin Jindal today
attended a Khap Mahapanchayat in Khaithal as support for the
caste councils swelled with INLD supremo O P Chautala backing
their demand for a ban on marriages within the same lineage.
Chautala, the former Haryana Chief Minister, met Home
Minister P Chidambaram in New Delhi and requested him to amend
the Hindu Marriage Act with a view to banning marriages within
the same lineage or clan.
"We are opposed to inter-caste marriages which are not
right scientifically and medically. The INLD was the first to
support this view," he told reporters.
Notorious for their diktats prohibiting wedlocks within
the same clan or villages, the Khap panchayats, often flayed
for handing out medieval justice, yesteday received support
from Congress MP and industrialist Navin Jindal.
Jindal told a Mahapanchayat in Kaithal today that he
would vigorously take up their demands with the Congress High
Command and Bhupinder Singh Hooda government in Haryana.
His assurance came after the Mahapanchayat handed over
a memorandum to him listing their demands.
Jindal, who is elected to Lok Sabha from Kurukshetra,
yesterday showered praise on the Khap panchayats for rendering
yeoman service to society by resolving people`s problems even
before the present day system came into existence.
In a letter to Khap representatives, he acknowledged
the existence of these panchayats since the time of great
rulers like Ashoka and Harshvardhan and said these had always
given a new direction to society.
On Jindal observations vis-a-vis Khap panchayats, the
Congress said it was an expression of opinion by an honourable
Member of Parliament and there was no change in the party`s
stand on the matter.
"The Congress` stand is crystal clear. No customary
law or practice can possibly be excused or condoned in any
manner if it involves killing of any kind in the name of
honour, tradition or heritage," spokesman Abhishek Singhvi
told reporters here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh