Support Justice Verma recommendations: Bedi
Srinagar: Former IPS officer-turned-social activist Kiran Bedi today said she fully supported the Justice Verma recommendations for amending the law related to sexual harassment that will end impunity for members of armed forces if involved in cases like rape.
"If a man in uniform, be it a policeman or army man, commits rape, he should face trial under civil law and not court martial. I fully support the Justice Verma recommendation on this," Bedi told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
Calling the amendment "need of the hour", Bedi said it will also end impunity for men in uniform for heinous crimes like rape if the safety of the women folk in the country is to be ensured.
"Only then, they (men in uniform) will be protectors and not betrayers," she said.
Bedi, a member of India Against Corruption, said she also supported the recommendation regarding action against superior officers of belt forces for failing to act in cases where such an offence is committed by a subordinate and is brought to their notice.
She said while the recommendations made by Justice Verma commission were "very very good", it was up to the Centre to accept them.
The former IPS officer, however, refused to comment on opposition from the Army for revoking Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read