Supreme Court bans endosulfan
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday banned the production, distribution and use of endosulfan because the pesticide has debilitating effects on humans and the environment.
A three-judge bench of Chief Justice SH Kapadia, Justice KS Radhakrishnan and Justice Swatanter Kumar passed the order after hearing a petition filed by the Democratic Youth Federation of India.
The petition said the use of the pesticide for optimising agricultural production was creating an alarming danger to health and safety of human beings in general and agricultural workers in particular.
The petition said that endosulfan also had hazardous effects on the environment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'