Supreme Court cancels Hasan Ali’s bail
New Delhi: In a setback to Pune-based stud farm owner Hasan Ali Khan, the Supreme Court on Friday quashed the bail granted to him by the Bombay High Court in a money laundering case.
A bench headed by Justice Altamas Kabir allowed the plea of Enforcement Directorate (ED) which had approached the apex court challenging the August 12 High Court order granting bail to 58-year-old Khan.
After hearing the submissions of the ED and Khan, the bench said the "order of High Court needs to be interfered with."
The apex court had on August 16 stayed the bail granted to Khan after the ED moved a petition challenging the High Court order.
Khan has been accused of holding two forged passports and granting bail would help him flee from the country, the agency had contended.
The ED had also submitted that the government had sufficient evidence to prove that Khan had several foreign accounts and illegal money to the tune of over 93 million dollars had been stashed away abroad.
It had said a Letters Rogatory had been sent to several countries for obtaining more information on his bank accounts having illegal money. The various transactions led by Khan through his foreign bank accounts reveal his association with international arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi, according to it.
It had alleged that in 2003, USD 300 million was apparently received by Khan from Khashoggi from weapon sales.
Khan, however, has refuted the allegations, saying the probe agency has failed to come out with evidence against him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!