Supreme Court verdict on transgenders historic: Experts
Thiruvananthapuram: Human right activists in Kerala on Tuesday termed as "historic and revolutionary" a Supreme Court verdict treating transgenders as the third category and entitling them to reservations as backward classes.
Recognising transgenders as the third category of gender, an apex court bench of Justice KS Radhakrishnan and Justice AK Sikri directed the centre and the state governments to include them for reservation in education and jobs.
Former CPI-M lawmaker Sebastian Paul said this was a very important judgement on transgenders.
"We have seen and heard about the ill-treatment meted out to transgenders because of the convention of human beings classified as male or female. They were treated as social outcastes. They will now get a new lease of life," said Paul, who is also a lawyer.
Social activist and advocate Kaleeshweran Raj termed the judgement "historic and revolutionary".
"This is a path breaking judgement and the road ahead is challenging to implement it," said Raj.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’