Supreme Court verdict on voters `unworkable`: Somnath
Kolkata: The Supreme Court`s landmark judgement on Friday allowing voters to reject all candidates in elections was termed as `unworkable` by former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee, while a senior Trinamool Congress leader Saugata Roy welcomed it.
"I think it is unworkable. What will happen if voters even in 20 constituencies cast negative votes rejecting all candidates in the fray? How will Parliament be constituted and how a government will be formed?" he wondered.
"I don`t think the Supreme Court has any authority to make laws. The Supreme Court has given the verdict and it is entitled to be respected, but as a citizen I don`t think it is necessary," former Lok Sabha Sabha Speaker told reporters here.
To a question, he said, "Why the Supreme Court has given the verdict, it knows. As an ordinary citizen I do not find any reason. Let the Supreme Court first say why it has given the verdict first rather than asking me why I should say no to it."
On the other hand, Trinamool Congress MP and former Union minister of state for urban development Saugata Roy applauded the judgement.
"I welcome the Supreme Court verdict which, if implemented, will make the politics more transparent and strengthen democracy," he said.
He said in a democracy people should have the right to vote for a candidate or not to vote at all.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly