Supreme Court verdict on voters `unworkable`: Somnath
Kolkata: The Supreme Court`s landmark judgement on Friday allowing voters to reject all candidates in elections was termed as `unworkable` by former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee, while a senior Trinamool Congress leader Saugata Roy welcomed it.
"I think it is unworkable. What will happen if voters even in 20 constituencies cast negative votes rejecting all candidates in the fray? How will Parliament be constituted and how a government will be formed?" he wondered.
"I don`t think the Supreme Court has any authority to make laws. The Supreme Court has given the verdict and it is entitled to be respected, but as a citizen I don`t think it is necessary," former Lok Sabha Sabha Speaker told reporters here.
To a question, he said, "Why the Supreme Court has given the verdict, it knows. As an ordinary citizen I do not find any reason. Let the Supreme Court first say why it has given the verdict first rather than asking me why I should say no to it."
On the other hand, Trinamool Congress MP and former Union minister of state for urban development Saugata Roy applauded the judgement.
"I welcome the Supreme Court verdict which, if implemented, will make the politics more transparent and strengthen democracy," he said.
He said in a democracy people should have the right to vote for a candidate or not to vote at all.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS