Surface-to-air Akash missile test fired
Balasore: Two days after its successful trial, India on Saturday again test-fired the indigenously developed surface-to-air Akash missile from the test range at Chandipur near here.
"The user specific trial, which formed part of the country`s routine air defence exercises, was conducted from the ITR," said a Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) official associated with the Akash missile project.
To re-validate the technology and operational efficacy of the anti-aircraft missile, Defence forces conducted the trial with logistic support provided by the ITR.
They had test-fired Akash successfully from the same test range on May 24.
The missile, which has a strike range of 25 km with warhead of 60 kgs, was test fired from a mobile launcher from launch complex-III of the ITR at about 1110 hours, Defence sources said.
"During the trial, the missile sought to intercept a floating object supported by a pilot less target aircraft (PTA), flown from launch complex-II, at a definite altitude over the sea," they said.
Akash, an anti-aircraft defence system, can simultaneously engage several targets with Rajendra radar developed by Electronics and Radar Development Establishment (LRDE), a DRDO laboratory situated at Bangalore. Rajendra does the surveillance, tracks the target, acquires it and guides the missile towards it.
The development of Akash missile took place during 1990s under country?s integrated guided missile develo`ment programme (IGMDP). After many trials, was inducted into armed forces in 2008. An air-force version of Akash missile has also been developed by DRDO.
Rajendra is a multifunction radar, capable of tracking as many as 64 targets and controlling up to 12 missiles simultaneously.
Defence experts have compared Akash missile system with the American MIM-104 Patriot surface-to-air missile system.
They claim that like the MIM-104, the Akash is capable of neutralising aerial targets such as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), fighter jets, cruise missiles and air-to-surface missiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP