Surprised PM to deal with Rahul Gandhi`s criticism on return
Washington: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was apparently taken by surprise by Rahul Gandhi`s attack on the ordinance on lawmakers but "will deal with the matter" only on his return to India next week.
The Congress Vice President`s blunt denunciation of the controversial ordinance that seeks to negate the Supreme Court verdict immediately disqualifying convicted MPs and MLAs as "complete nonsense" happened in New Delhi while the prime minister was sleeping in his suite in the Four Seasons Hotel here.
Singh`s aides were woken up by the media seeking reaction to Rahul`s attack including the comment that the government decision on the ordinance, which is now before President Pranab Mukherjee, was "wrong".
No immediate reaction was forthcoming but PMO sources said that Singh would "deal with the matter" only on his return to New Delhi on Oct 1.
The PM`s aides, who were preparing for Singh`s meeting with President Barack Obama later in the day, went into a huddle but refrained from making any public comments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt