Surprised PM to deal with Rahul Gandhi`s criticism on return
Washington: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was apparently taken by surprise by Rahul Gandhi`s attack on the ordinance on lawmakers but "will deal with the matter" only on his return to India next week.
The Congress Vice President`s blunt denunciation of the controversial ordinance that seeks to negate the Supreme Court verdict immediately disqualifying convicted MPs and MLAs as "complete nonsense" happened in New Delhi while the prime minister was sleeping in his suite in the Four Seasons Hotel here.
Singh`s aides were woken up by the media seeking reaction to Rahul`s attack including the comment that the government decision on the ordinance, which is now before President Pranab Mukherjee, was "wrong".
No immediate reaction was forthcoming but PMO sources said that Singh would "deal with the matter" only on his return to New Delhi on Oct 1.
The PM`s aides, who were preparing for Singh`s meeting with President Barack Obama later in the day, went into a huddle but refrained from making any public comments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...