Suryanelli scandal: SP comes out in defence of embattled Kurien
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party today came out in defence of embattled Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien, saying a two-decade-old case settled by courts cannot be raked up against a person.
"A 17- or 20-year-old case settled by the courts cannot be raked up against a person. Courts have said there is no case against him. He should not step down," SP general secretary Ram Gopal Yadav told reporters here.
He said once the courts have settled the matter, it should not be used against a person.
Yadav`s defence came a day after Kurien wrote to Rajya Sabha MPs saying the case against him is untrue.
Kurien`s critics want his removal from the post of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman for his alleged involvement in the Suryanelli rape case.
A school girl was allegedly abducted and raped by 42 men for 40 days. The victim recently named him as one of those who allegedly assaulted her in 1996.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him