Suryanelli scandal: SP comes out in defence of embattled Kurien
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party today came out in defence of embattled Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien, saying a two-decade-old case settled by courts cannot be raked up against a person.
"A 17- or 20-year-old case settled by the courts cannot be raked up against a person. Courts have said there is no case against him. He should not step down," SP general secretary Ram Gopal Yadav told reporters here.
He said once the courts have settled the matter, it should not be used against a person.
Yadav`s defence came a day after Kurien wrote to Rajya Sabha MPs saying the case against him is untrue.
Kurien`s critics want his removal from the post of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman for his alleged involvement in the Suryanelli rape case.
A school girl was allegedly abducted and raped by 42 men for 40 days. The victim recently named him as one of those who allegedly assaulted her in 1996.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!