Suryanelli scandal: SP comes out in defence of embattled Kurien
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party today came out in defence of embattled Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien, saying a two-decade-old case settled by courts cannot be raked up against a person.
"A 17- or 20-year-old case settled by the courts cannot be raked up against a person. Courts have said there is no case against him. He should not step down," SP general secretary Ram Gopal Yadav told reporters here.
He said once the courts have settled the matter, it should not be used against a person.
Yadav`s defence came a day after Kurien wrote to Rajya Sabha MPs saying the case against him is untrue.
Kurien`s critics want his removal from the post of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman for his alleged involvement in the Suryanelli rape case.
A school girl was allegedly abducted and raped by 42 men for 40 days. The victim recently named him as one of those who allegedly assaulted her in 1996.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore