Suryanelli scandal: SP comes out in defence of embattled Kurien
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party today came out in defence of embattled Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien, saying a two-decade-old case settled by courts cannot be raked up against a person.
"A 17- or 20-year-old case settled by the courts cannot be raked up against a person. Courts have said there is no case against him. He should not step down," SP general secretary Ram Gopal Yadav told reporters here.
He said once the courts have settled the matter, it should not be used against a person.
Yadav`s defence came a day after Kurien wrote to Rajya Sabha MPs saying the case against him is untrue.
Kurien`s critics want his removal from the post of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman for his alleged involvement in the Suryanelli rape case.
A school girl was allegedly abducted and raped by 42 men for 40 days. The victim recently named him as one of those who allegedly assaulted her in 1996.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery