Suryanelli scandal: SP comes out in defence of embattled Kurien
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party today came out in defence of embattled Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien, saying a two-decade-old case settled by courts cannot be raked up against a person.
"A 17- or 20-year-old case settled by the courts cannot be raked up against a person. Courts have said there is no case against him. He should not step down," SP general secretary Ram Gopal Yadav told reporters here.
He said once the courts have settled the matter, it should not be used against a person.
Yadav`s defence came a day after Kurien wrote to Rajya Sabha MPs saying the case against him is untrue.
Kurien`s critics want his removal from the post of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman for his alleged involvement in the Suryanelli rape case.
A school girl was allegedly abducted and raped by 42 men for 40 days. The victim recently named him as one of those who allegedly assaulted her in 1996.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal