Sushil Kumar Shinde takes charge as Home Minister
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Sushil Kumar Shinde took charge as the country’s Home Minister on Wednesday.
The former power minister took over from P Chidambaram at the Home Ministry in North Block.
Prior to taking charge, Shinde said that he was aware of the situation in the country and assured that he will strive to maintain cordial relations with the state. “I appeal to all Chief Ministers of the country that we are all Indians irrespective of the party we belong to, we have to unite to find the way out whenever there is a difficulty.”
Thanking the Congress and its leadership, Shinde said, “Congress has never forgotten the Dalits. The faith with which I have been given the responsibility, I will not work just as a Dalit but as a citizen of the country.”
He also sought the assistance of the people, and blessings of the Prime Minister and Sonia Gandhi.
“The Home Ministry is a very critical ministry, I being a former police officer I know how deal with it. But every time one cannot deal as a police officer,” Shinde said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway