Sushil Kumar Shinde takes over as Home Minister
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Sushil Kumar Shinde on Tuesday was appointed as the new Home Minister.
A notification to this effect was issued by the government, reports said.
Shinde is also tipped to be among the favourites to be named as the Leader of the House in Lok Sabha.
P Chidambaram, who was the Home Minister takes over as the Finance Minister.
It may be noted that Chidambaram was the finance minister till late 2008, but was moved to the Home Ministry in November 2008 in the wake of 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.As per a letter sent to the Rashtrapatin Bhavan by the PMO, Corporate Affairs Minister Veerappa Moily has been given the additional charge of Power Ministry.
The reshuffle is taking place in the wake of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee moving to Rashtrapati Bhavan as the President.
While this is a minor reshuffle, the UPA ministry is expected to get a major overhaul after the Monsoon Session of Parliament in September.
After Mukherjee’s exit, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had been holding the charge of Finance Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America