Sushil Kumar Shinde takes over as Home Minister
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Sushil Kumar Shinde on Tuesday was appointed as the new Home Minister.
A notification to this effect was issued by the government, reports said.
Shinde is also tipped to be among the favourites to be named as the Leader of the House in Lok Sabha.
P Chidambaram, who was the Home Minister takes over as the Finance Minister.
It may be noted that Chidambaram was the finance minister till late 2008, but was moved to the Home Ministry in November 2008 in the wake of 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.As per a letter sent to the Rashtrapatin Bhavan by the PMO, Corporate Affairs Minister Veerappa Moily has been given the additional charge of Power Ministry.
The reshuffle is taking place in the wake of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee moving to Rashtrapati Bhavan as the President.
While this is a minor reshuffle, the UPA ministry is expected to get a major overhaul after the Monsoon Session of Parliament in September.
After Mukherjee’s exit, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had been holding the charge of Finance Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31