Sushil Kumar Shinde takes over as Home Minister
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Sushil Kumar Shinde on Tuesday was appointed as the new Home Minister.
A notification to this effect was issued by the government, reports said.
Shinde is also tipped to be among the favourites to be named as the Leader of the House in Lok Sabha.
P Chidambaram, who was the Home Minister takes over as the Finance Minister.
It may be noted that Chidambaram was the finance minister till late 2008, but was moved to the Home Ministry in November 2008 in the wake of 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.As per a letter sent to the Rashtrapatin Bhavan by the PMO, Corporate Affairs Minister Veerappa Moily has been given the additional charge of Power Ministry.
The reshuffle is taking place in the wake of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee moving to Rashtrapati Bhavan as the President.
While this is a minor reshuffle, the UPA ministry is expected to get a major overhaul after the Monsoon Session of Parliament in September.
After Mukherjee’s exit, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had been holding the charge of Finance Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?