Sushma backs demand for returning remains of Bahadur Shah Zafar
New Delhi: BJP leader Sushma Swaraj has welcomed the demand for bringing back the mortal remains of last Mughal Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar from Rangoon in Myanmar for its burial in Delhi.
Supporting the demand, the Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha said this will be a befitting tribute to the last Mughal Emperor in the country.
"I welcome and support the demand to bring back the mortal remains of Bahadur Shah Zafar for burial in Delhi," Swaraj said on Twitter.
She said "this will be a befitting tribute from a grateful nation to the great hero of our First War of Independence."
Demands for bringing back the mortal remains of Bahadur Shah Zafar had come up recently with the Socialist Party asking the government to do so and submitted a memorandum in this regard.
The Socialist Party has also decided to hold a day-long dharna at Jantar-Mantar in Delhi on May 11 to press the demand. On May 11, of 1857, the soldiers of the British India Army reached Delhi from Meerut and proclaimed Bahadur Shah Zafar, the then Emperor of India and the leader of their struggle for independence against the colonial British rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day