Sushma backs demand for returning remains of Bahadur Shah Zafar
New Delhi: BJP leader Sushma Swaraj has welcomed the demand for bringing back the mortal remains of last Mughal Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar from Rangoon in Myanmar for its burial in Delhi.
Supporting the demand, the Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha said this will be a befitting tribute to the last Mughal Emperor in the country.
"I welcome and support the demand to bring back the mortal remains of Bahadur Shah Zafar for burial in Delhi," Swaraj said on Twitter.
She said "this will be a befitting tribute from a grateful nation to the great hero of our First War of Independence."
Demands for bringing back the mortal remains of Bahadur Shah Zafar had come up recently with the Socialist Party asking the government to do so and submitted a memorandum in this regard.
The Socialist Party has also decided to hold a day-long dharna at Jantar-Mantar in Delhi on May 11 to press the demand. On May 11, of 1857, the soldiers of the British India Army reached Delhi from Meerut and proclaimed Bahadur Shah Zafar, the then Emperor of India and the leader of their struggle for independence against the colonial British rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday