Sushma demands new policy to stop farmer suicides
Khandwa (MP): Expressing concern over the
growing incidents of suicides by farmers due to crop failure
in the country, including Madhya Pradesh, Leader of the
Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Saturday demanded a new
central policy on the issue.
"In the present polices, there is no provision to
provide relief to the frost-hit farmers and therefore there is
a need to frame a new policy on the issue," Swaraj told
reporters after inaugurating the Antyodaya Mela at
neighbouring Burhanpur district.
She paid visit to the kin of a farmer, who had
recently committed suicide in Tehsil office allegedly due to
mounting debt and threats from the banking institutions on the
recovery of the loan, in Dhamangaon village.
Meanwhile, a farmer from Bailwadi village under Harsud
tehsil today committed suicide by consuming pesticide
allegedly due to mounting debts.
The farmer identified as Balram Lovanshi consumed the
pesticide in his agriculture field following which he was
rushed to the district hospital where he died while undergoing
the treatment, the police said.
His son, Radheshyam claimed that his father has five
acres of land and took a loan for purchasing seeds and
fertilisers from some private lenders, but due to the crop
failure he got upset and took the extreme step.
Khandwa Collector DD Agrawal said that a probe has
been ordered on the issue which will be conducted by Harsud
Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) and only after getting the
enquiry report anything specific on the issue can be said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'