Sushma demands new policy to stop farmer suicides
Khandwa (MP): Expressing concern over the
growing incidents of suicides by farmers due to crop failure
in the country, including Madhya Pradesh, Leader of the
Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Saturday demanded a new
central policy on the issue.
"In the present polices, there is no provision to
provide relief to the frost-hit farmers and therefore there is
a need to frame a new policy on the issue," Swaraj told
reporters after inaugurating the Antyodaya Mela at
neighbouring Burhanpur district.
She paid visit to the kin of a farmer, who had
recently committed suicide in Tehsil office allegedly due to
mounting debt and threats from the banking institutions on the
recovery of the loan, in Dhamangaon village.
Meanwhile, a farmer from Bailwadi village under Harsud
tehsil today committed suicide by consuming pesticide
allegedly due to mounting debts.
The farmer identified as Balram Lovanshi consumed the
pesticide in his agriculture field following which he was
rushed to the district hospital where he died while undergoing
the treatment, the police said.
His son, Radheshyam claimed that his father has five
acres of land and took a loan for purchasing seeds and
fertilisers from some private lenders, but due to the crop
failure he got upset and took the extreme step.
Khandwa Collector DD Agrawal said that a probe has
been ordered on the issue which will be conducted by Harsud
Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) and only after getting the
enquiry report anything specific on the issue can be said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!