Sushma demands new policy to stop farmer suicides
Khandwa (MP): Expressing concern over the
growing incidents of suicides by farmers due to crop failure
in the country, including Madhya Pradesh, Leader of the
Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Saturday demanded a new
central policy on the issue.
"In the present polices, there is no provision to
provide relief to the frost-hit farmers and therefore there is
a need to frame a new policy on the issue," Swaraj told
reporters after inaugurating the Antyodaya Mela at
neighbouring Burhanpur district.
She paid visit to the kin of a farmer, who had
recently committed suicide in Tehsil office allegedly due to
mounting debt and threats from the banking institutions on the
recovery of the loan, in Dhamangaon village.
Meanwhile, a farmer from Bailwadi village under Harsud
tehsil today committed suicide by consuming pesticide
allegedly due to mounting debts.
The farmer identified as Balram Lovanshi consumed the
pesticide in his agriculture field following which he was
rushed to the district hospital where he died while undergoing
the treatment, the police said.
His son, Radheshyam claimed that his father has five
acres of land and took a loan for purchasing seeds and
fertilisers from some private lenders, but due to the crop
failure he got upset and took the extreme step.
Khandwa Collector DD Agrawal said that a probe has
been ordered on the issue which will be conducted by Harsud
Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) and only after getting the
enquiry report anything specific on the issue can be said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble