Sushma, Jaitley meet PM on selection of new NHRC members
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley on Friday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh reportedly to discuss the selection of the new NHRC members.
Other members of the NHRC selection panel, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, Deputy Chairperson of the Rajya Sabha P J Kurien were also present in the meeting.
The main opposition party has been firm in its reservations about giving the NHRC posts to retired bureaucrats and police personnel. This has become a contentious issue between the government and the opposition with the former trying to push through the candidature of some retired top officials, including those from CBI and Intelligence Bureau.
BJP has maintained that government is using the NHRC posts as after-retirement sops for pliant bureaucrats. Moreover, the party has reportedly conveyed to the government that IAS and IPS officers are often violators of human rights and should not be made members of NHRC.
The opposition was mum about the proceedings of today`s meeting. An announcement from the government is expected soon about today`s decisions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker