Sushma, Jaitley meet PM on selection of new NHRC members
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley on Friday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh reportedly to discuss the selection of the new NHRC members.
Other members of the NHRC selection panel, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, Deputy Chairperson of the Rajya Sabha P J Kurien were also present in the meeting.
The main opposition party has been firm in its reservations about giving the NHRC posts to retired bureaucrats and police personnel. This has become a contentious issue between the government and the opposition with the former trying to push through the candidature of some retired top officials, including those from CBI and Intelligence Bureau.
BJP has maintained that government is using the NHRC posts as after-retirement sops for pliant bureaucrats. Moreover, the party has reportedly conveyed to the government that IAS and IPS officers are often violators of human rights and should not be made members of NHRC.
The opposition was mum about the proceedings of today`s meeting. An announcement from the government is expected soon about today`s decisions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!