Sushma, Jaitley meet PM on selection of new NHRC members
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley on Friday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh reportedly to discuss the selection of the new NHRC members.
Other members of the NHRC selection panel, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, Deputy Chairperson of the Rajya Sabha P J Kurien were also present in the meeting.
The main opposition party has been firm in its reservations about giving the NHRC posts to retired bureaucrats and police personnel. This has become a contentious issue between the government and the opposition with the former trying to push through the candidature of some retired top officials, including those from CBI and Intelligence Bureau.
BJP has maintained that government is using the NHRC posts as after-retirement sops for pliant bureaucrats. Moreover, the party has reportedly conveyed to the government that IAS and IPS officers are often violators of human rights and should not be made members of NHRC.
The opposition was mum about the proceedings of today`s meeting. An announcement from the government is expected soon about today`s decisions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM