Sushma not to file affidavit on CVC
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday said that she has decided not to file an affidavit in the Supreme Court to back her claim that she had objected to PJ Thomas’ appointment as the Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) during a meeting of the high-powered committee.
Swaraj changed her mind after Home Minister P Chidambaram Monday lent credence to her claim.
Swaraj had earlier decided to file the affidavit after Attorney General GE Vahanvati contradicted her claim in the SC that she had objected to Thomas’ appointment.
Swaraj had claimed that she, as one of the three members of the committee and Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, had objected to Thomas’ appointment on the ground that his name figured in the Palmolein corruption case in Kerala.
The Attorney General had told the SC during a hearing that the committee had no knowledge of Thomas’ name figuring in a corruption case, as his bio-data made no mention of it.
However, Chidambaram on Monday said at a press briefing that the committee had at length discussed Thomas’ involvement in the Palmolein case at the meeting, thereby contradiction Attorney General and backing Swaraj’s claim.
The CVC meanwhile stayed defiant and when asked by reporters yesterday whether he would quit amid indications that the government too was trying to wash off its hands from the case, Thomas said that he was still the CVC and that the matter was sub-judice.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what