Sushma not to file affidavit on CVC
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday said that she has decided not to file an affidavit in the Supreme Court to back her claim that she had objected to PJ Thomas’ appointment as the Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) during a meeting of the high-powered committee.
Swaraj changed her mind after Home Minister P Chidambaram Monday lent credence to her claim.
Swaraj had earlier decided to file the affidavit after Attorney General GE Vahanvati contradicted her claim in the SC that she had objected to Thomas’ appointment.
Swaraj had claimed that she, as one of the three members of the committee and Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, had objected to Thomas’ appointment on the ground that his name figured in the Palmolein corruption case in Kerala.
The Attorney General had told the SC during a hearing that the committee had no knowledge of Thomas’ name figuring in a corruption case, as his bio-data made no mention of it.
However, Chidambaram on Monday said at a press briefing that the committee had at length discussed Thomas’ involvement in the Palmolein case at the meeting, thereby contradiction Attorney General and backing Swaraj’s claim.
The CVC meanwhile stayed defiant and when asked by reporters yesterday whether he would quit amid indications that the government too was trying to wash off its hands from the case, Thomas said that he was still the CVC and that the matter was sub-judice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past