Sushma opposes extension to LS Secretary General
New Delhi: Raising objections to the one-year extension in tenure to Lok Sabha Secretary General TK Vishwanathan, Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj has said he
was "not fit" for the post.
In a letter to Speaker Meira Kumar, Swaraj aired her
objection, saying, "The conduct and behaviour of the present
Secretary General is not fit for the post."
Swaraj gave two more reasons for her objection to the
extension given to Vishwanathan, who is a former Law
"You did not hold a formal meeting with the Leader of
Opposition and Leader of the House on extending the tenure of
the present Secretary General. Holding informal talks on this
cannot be an alternative for a formal meeting. It is a must
for the three to sit together before the decision," Swaraj
When asked about Swaraj`s letter, the Speaker told
reporters, "it is unethical for me to comment on it".
The differences between Kumar and Swaraj over
Vishwanathan are not new with the latter objecting to his
appointment 11 months ago. She has referred to this in her
"You would remember that at the time of his
appointment last year I had said that Secretary General should
be somebody from the Lok Sabha Secretariat only. At that time
you had said that no official from the LS Secretariat is a
deserving candidate for the post, so we can appoint the
present secretary general for 11 months and will keep your
suggestion in mind the next year," Swaraj said.
The BJP leader maintained that due to this she had
given her consent to Kumar`s proposal.
Sushma Swaraj said that only the officers from the Lok Sabha cadre should be considered for the said post. She is of the view that as TK Vishwanathan is not from the Lok Sabha cadre his appointment would affect the morale of officers who do belong to that cadre.
"Bringing a retired official from outside and making
him Secretary General not only belies their claim but also
lowers their morale and develops an atmosphere of
frustration," she said.
And in a direct attack at him, Swaraj has also reportedly questioned the personal conduct of Vishwanathan saying that his behaviour was not fit for someone holding an important post.
TK Viswanathan was adviser to former Minister for Law and Justice M Veerappa Moily when he was appointed Secretary General of the Lok Sabha on October 01, 2010.
A holder of Masters Degree in Jurisprudence from Madras University, he has worked as Professor at the Madras Law College and Member-Secretary in Law Commission of India.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks