Sushma or Gadkari - Tussle within BJP over next party president
New Delhi: In what can be described as a hurried move, immediately after Congress party on Saturday appointed Rahul Gandhi as the party vice president, senior BJP leader LK Advani proposed Sushma Swaraj`s name for the post of BJP president, sources said.
Advani reportedly proposed Swaraj`s name after saying a firm no to the suggestion that Rajnath Singh be appointed as the next BJP president, reports suggest.
Other reports also stated that the RSS has given a green signal to Nitin Gadkari to continue as the BJP president for a second consecutive term.
However, the party will issue a notification tomorrow for its presidential elections and Gadkari is expected to submit his nomination for the top organizational post.
BJP sources said RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat spoke to LK Advani today and is understood to have discussed the party presidential poll. Advani, who led the party`s campaign against the UPA government on the corruption plank, is one of those opposed to a second term being handed to Gadkari, who is facing charges of corruption and impropriety in business dealings.
On the contrary, the RSS is keen that Gadkari gets a second tenure as BJP chief. Keeping the tussle in mind, there is a growing demand within the BJP that the leadership issue should be sorted out soon as Lok Sabha elections are due in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan