Sushma or Gadkari - Tussle within BJP over next party president
New Delhi: In what can be described as a hurried move, immediately after Congress party on Saturday appointed Rahul Gandhi as the party vice president, senior BJP leader LK Advani proposed Sushma Swaraj`s name for the post of BJP president, sources said.
Advani reportedly proposed Swaraj`s name after saying a firm no to the suggestion that Rajnath Singh be appointed as the next BJP president, reports suggest.
Other reports also stated that the RSS has given a green signal to Nitin Gadkari to continue as the BJP president for a second consecutive term.
However, the party will issue a notification tomorrow for its presidential elections and Gadkari is expected to submit his nomination for the top organizational post.
BJP sources said RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat spoke to LK Advani today and is understood to have discussed the party presidential poll. Advani, who led the party`s campaign against the UPA government on the corruption plank, is one of those opposed to a second term being handed to Gadkari, who is facing charges of corruption and impropriety in business dealings.
On the contrary, the RSS is keen that Gadkari gets a second tenure as BJP chief. Keeping the tussle in mind, there is a growing demand within the BJP that the leadership issue should be sorted out soon as Lok Sabha elections are due in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’