Sushma pitches for death for culprits of Mumbai-like gang-rape of journo
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Saturday said she firmly believes that culprits of such crimes like the brutal gang-rape of a photojournalist in Mumbai should be given death sentence.
Asked if she still holds the opinion she had articulated after the Nirbhaya gang-rape in Delhi on December 16, Swaraj said "I am of the firm view and I reiterate my stand that if punishment of this kind (death sentence) is given to the accused in the Damini... Nirbhaya case, there will definitely be a stop somewhere."
In a debate on the Nirbhaya gang-rape case and safety of women in Parliament during the budget session, Swaraj had said the culprits should be given death sentence to deter others from comitting such heinous crimes.
A 22-year old photojournalist was gang-raped in Mumbai on August 22 and her male companion beaten up. The case is similar to the Nirbhaya case that took place in a bus on the night of December 16, 2012 in the national capital in which a 23-year old paramedic was gang-raped and her friend beaten up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok