Sushma pitches for death for culprits of Mumbai-like gang-rape of journo
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Saturday said she firmly believes that culprits of such crimes like the brutal gang-rape of a photojournalist in Mumbai should be given death sentence.
Asked if she still holds the opinion she had articulated after the Nirbhaya gang-rape in Delhi on December 16, Swaraj said "I am of the firm view and I reiterate my stand that if punishment of this kind (death sentence) is given to the accused in the Damini... Nirbhaya case, there will definitely be a stop somewhere."
In a debate on the Nirbhaya gang-rape case and safety of women in Parliament during the budget session, Swaraj had said the culprits should be given death sentence to deter others from comitting such heinous crimes.
A 22-year old photojournalist was gang-raped in Mumbai on August 22 and her male companion beaten up. The case is similar to the Nirbhaya case that took place in a bus on the night of December 16, 2012 in the national capital in which a 23-year old paramedic was gang-raped and her friend beaten up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy