Sushma scoffs at Congress MPs` decision to forgo allowance
New Delhi: A day after Congress MPs expressed their desire to forgo their daily allowance as no work was being transacted in parliament, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj said it was a "prayshchit" (atonement) for their scams.
"Congress MPs` decision to forgo Rs 2,000 allowance is `prayshchit` for CWG and 2G scams," Swarj tweeted Saturday morning.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal on Friday said several Congress MPs met him over the last few days and said they did not want to take their daily allowance of Rs 2,000 as Parliament was getting adjourned every day without transacting any business.
Both Houses of parliament were adjourned for the 12th consecutive day on Friday as the BJP-led opposition is not budging from its demand of a joint parliamentary committee (JPC) probe into the alleged scam in allocating 2G spectrum in 2008.
- VVIP chopper deal probe: CBI to grill former-IAF chief SP Tyagi, his 2 brothers today; major set-back for Sonia Gandhi?
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord
- After a half-century wait, first US cruise ship leaves Miami for Cuba
- Tear gas in Paris, Istanbul as tensions erupt on May Day
- Republican presidential race: Donald Trump hits out at Hillary Clinton and Ted Cruz ahead of Indiana primary