Sushma Swaraj demands death for Delhi gang-rapists
Bhopal: Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj demanded capital punishment here Tuesday for those convicted in the sensational December 16 gangrape and murder case of a 23-year-old paramedic.
"I have raised the demand to award capital punishment to these four convicts. If they are awarded the death sentence, it would become a model for the country and effectively curb incidents of rapes," she told reporters after addressing a BJP meeting here.
"The new law has a provision to award capital punishment in a rape and murder case. This will be the first case under the new law in which the death sentence should be given," Sushma said.
Today, a Delhi court found four men guilty of gang-raping and murdering a paramedical student in a moving bus here on December 16 last year, a case which evoked nationwide outrage and forced the government to enact a stringent anti-rape law.
The court would hear arguments on the quantum of sentence tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- The Pot Simmers: Beef Politics in UP; Beef Festival in Kerala