Sushma Swaraj meets Biden, refrains from raising Modi visa issue
New Delhi: BJP leader Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday met visiting US Vice President Joe Biden and raised the issue of visa to skilled workers but refrained from discussing the lifting of ban on American visa to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
"I had a very good meeting with Mr Joe Biden, Vice President of United States of America this afternoon. Amongst other issues, I raised the issue of totalisation agreement and H1B visa to Indian professionals," the Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha said on micro-blogging site Twitter.
US has entered into agreements, called Totalisation Agreements, with several nations for the purpose of avoiding double taxation of income with respect to social security or medicare taxes. India is not yet a signatory to this agreement.
Swaraj, however, refrained from raising the issue of the US lifting the ban on visa to Modi. BJP President Rajnath Singh, who is on a five-day visit to the US, has said he will raise this issue with the American authorities.
Swaraj had come to the capital from Madhya Pradesh for this meeting with Biden and other engagements. She left for her Lok Sabha constituency Vidisha soon after the meeting for a four-day visit.
Meanwhile, BJP expressed its ire over reports that 40 Lok Sabha and 25 Rajya Sabha MPs have written to US President Barack Obama appealing to him to continue with the no-visa policy against Modi.
"Are these MPs voicing the view of their voters/people of their constituency or their prejudices "Against our own country man? Shame," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
She demanded that these 65 names be made public.
"The 65 names be revealed, questions asked in their constituencies about their motives. Whose cause are they serving? Modi an elected CM!" she tweeted.
Sources said no new letters have been sent by Indian MPs to Obama against Modi. Some of the MPs who had written such a letter last December have reportedly sent reminders to the US president reiterating their demand.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India