Sushma Swaraj returns home after Vietnam visit
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday arrived here after her three-day visit to strategically-important Vietnam where she met with the country's top leadership and vowed to deepen bilateral ties.
The visit saw discussions on cooperation in the oil sector where India is assessing whether to explore in five new blocks that have been offered by Vietnam.
While India has decided to ramp up its engagement with Vietnam in the oil sector and deepen defence ties, Hanoi wants Delhi to do more especially in maintaining freedom of navigation, maritime safety and security in the disputed South China Sea.
During her visit, Swaraj also chaired a brainstorming session with 15 Indian Heads of Missions in Southeast Asia and East Asia in Hanoi to chart out the foreign policy initiatives to be undertaken in the strategically vital region by the new Indian government.
Swaraj's trip took place just days ahead of President Pranab Mukherjee's state visit to Vietnam.
Indian diplomats were tight-lipped about the kind of agreements that would be signed during Mukherjee's visit in the middle of next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook