Suspected Hizb terrorist brought to Anand for investigation
Anand: Suspected Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist
Bashir Ahmed Baba, arrested by the Gujarat Anti-Terrorist
Squad (ATS), was brought here for investigation, sources said
Baba, who was arrested on Saturday, was brought here late
last night and was taken to various locations he had visited
before being arrested, they said.
According to sources, the ATS team along with Baba were
in the city for over an hour before they left for Vadodara.
Sources in the ATS said he was brought here so that he
could give information about the places he had visited while
his stay in Anand.
He was also asked to identify the people he had met in
the city, they added.
They said Baba had come to Anand on the invitation of one
Gulam Rasul who is from Srinagar.
ATS officials said they are investigating the terror
links of Rasul, who had come to visit his uncle residing here
for the last 30 years.
Anand district police and ATS have conducted thorough
interrogation of family members of Rasul`s uncle to know about
the details of his visit to Gujarat.
However, they were not able get any information on Rasul.
The family members also said they were not aware of Rasul`s
involvement in terror activities.
Rasul had stayed for some days in Anand and Ahmedabad,
and ATS are probing his activities during his visit to the
According to police, Rasul left for Kashmir in the last
week of February after Baba arrived in Ahmedabad.
Baba, a Kashmiri origin man who has a case registered
under Explosives Act against him in his home state, was
arrested by ATS on Saturday last from near Samarkha village on
a highway from Anand district.
According to ATS, Baba was in contact with Hizbul
Mujaheedin leader Bilal Shera who is based in Pakistan
Occupied Kashmir (POK) and was also in constant touch with one
General Abdulla of Jamiyat-ul Mujaheedin during his stay here.
They said he had done detailed recce of some places in
the city which include Indian Space Research Organisation
(ISRO), Railway stations, Kankaria lake, science city,
Akshardham and various malls and cinema houses.
Baba had come to Ahmedabad on February 20, as
representative of Srinagar-based NGO Kimaya Foundation working
for people with cleft lip.
ATS are also questioning the people whom Baba had met as
representative of the NGO.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar