Suspected IM terrorist remanded to 7 days police custody
New Delhi: A suspected Indian Mujahideen
terrorist was today remanded to seven days` police custody by
a Delhi court in a fresh case in connection with the
synchronised explosions that killed 26 people in the capital
on September 13, 2008.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja allowed the
Delhi Police Special Cell to keep Shahzad, arrested from Uttar
Pradesh on February 1, in their custody till February 25.
Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan sought 10 days remand of
the accused on the ground that he has to be interrogated in
connection with the recovery of a laptop and two mobile phones
from Azamgarh in Uttar Pradesh at his instance.
He is also to be interrogated with regard to whereabouts
of 14 suspected members of IM, Mohan said.
Defence counsel M S Khan opposed the police plea on the
ground that the police had claimed to have unearthed the
conspiracy with regard to the serial blasts. The investigators
have already filed chargesheets in the matter.
The Delhi Police special cell sleuths, who produced the
accused before the court after completion of 12 days` police
remand, remained tight-lipped on whether Shahzad had any role
in the Pune blast of February 13, which has claimed 11 lives.
The prosecutors also did not say anything in this regard.
Police say Shahzad along with another IM operative Junaid
escaped during an encounter on September 19, 2008, with the
special cell sleuths at Batla House in south Delhi in which an
Inspector, M C Sharma, was killed.
Shahzad, who was arrested from Azamgarh on February one
by Uttar Pradesh Anti-Terror Squad, is alleged to have fired
at the deceased police officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS