Suspension of night trains in Maoist areas to continue
New Delhi: Suspension of night running of
trains in Kharagpur division of South Eastern Railway after
the Jnaneshawari train accident on May 28 is likely to
continue till the Railways are confident of security, a senior
Railway official Tuesday said.
"Once we are confident enough, we will immediately start
running of trains during night hours," Railway Board chairman
Vivek Sahai said.
Running of trains at night was suspended in the division
immediately after the May 28 mishap in which the hands of
Maoists are suspected. As many 150 people died in the mishap.
Sahai said the Railways were doing regular assessment of
the prevailing situation in the area in the wake of the train
accident near Jhargram in West Midnapore district of West
Bengal and are being provided with intelligence inputs on a
Railways had yesterday decided to extend for another four
days suspension of night operations between Kharagpur and
Tatanagar and Kharagpur and Adra. The suspension of train
movement from 10.00 pm to 5.00 am was initially meant to end today
However, Sahai made it clear that the suspension was not
applicable to goods trains and that they were plying normally
on those routes.
Services between Kharagpur and Tatanagar were suspended at
around 7.30 am today after a goods train driver raised an
alarm that he had heard an explosion like sound, which the
railways later ruled out after conducting a spot
On June 9, services between Kharagpur and Tatanagar were
once again suspended after the Jhargram GRP alerted
authorities about a possible attack by the Maoists on the
Mumbai-Howrah Duranto Express.
Both South Eastern as well as East Coast Railway have
already either rescheduled or diverted several trains in view
of the suspensions on night operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days