Suspicious packet creates panic, delays New Delhi-bound flight
Guwahati: A packet, suspected to be carrying explosives, recovered from the cargo section of a Guwahati-New Delhi Spice Jet aircraft, Saturday created panic and delayed the flight at the Lokopriyo Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport at Borjhar here, police said.
Cargo handlers of SG-881, scheduled to leave here at 3:30 PM, found a suspicious-looking packet with wires and informed the CISF personnel posted at the airport who in turn handed over the packet to the police.
The police immediately informed forensic experts who rushed to the spot to examine the packet which was booked by a person from Meghalaya with a courier company and was being sent to a person in New Delhi.
On preliminary investigations, the forensic experts said that the materials were not explosives but were used in heaters for sealing purpose.
They took away the materials for further investigations in their laboratory.
Meanwhile, the police took into custody two employees of the courier company and the flight later left for its onward journey, the police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez