Suu Kyi, Meira Kumar discuss Indo-Myanmar ties
New Delhi: Myanmar`s opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi on Thursday called on Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar in Parliament where they exchanged views on bilateral ties and other issues.
The chairperson of National League for Democracy, met Kumar in Parliament this afternoon. Kumar and Suu Kyi, accompanied by their respective staff members, spent about 25 minutes together.
She also signed the visitor`s diary in Parliament.
Asked by reporters later how she felt being back here after 25 years, Suu Kyi said, "I feel very good. I feel very much at home here."
Suu Kyi, who studied in India, however, refused to speak in Hindi when requested by the press to do so.
"I would not like to risk that.... My Hindi was never the best, you know. So I think I better be safe and sorry and stick to English. Unless you want me to speak Burmese, which I shall be quite willing to," she said.
The charismatic leader was all praise for the jostling press and mediapersons, saying they seem to be "very interested, very vigorous" in their work.
Suu Kyi also planted a sapling of Magnolia Grandiflora (commonly known as Champa) in Parliament premises. She was heard requesting photographers not to step on the plant while taking her pictures.
"I hope you are not stomping on my poor plant... Be careful of the poor plant," she said repeatedly.
Speaker Meira Kumar said she felt honoured and proud to welcome the Myanmarese leader in Parliament.
"She has gone through long years of sacrifice and struggle and suffering to establish democracy. She is today a world icon," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you