Suu Kyi, Meira Kumar discuss Indo-Myanmar ties
New Delhi: Myanmar`s opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi on Thursday called on Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar in Parliament where they exchanged views on bilateral ties and other issues.
The chairperson of National League for Democracy, met Kumar in Parliament this afternoon. Kumar and Suu Kyi, accompanied by their respective staff members, spent about 25 minutes together.
She also signed the visitor`s diary in Parliament.
Asked by reporters later how she felt being back here after 25 years, Suu Kyi said, "I feel very good. I feel very much at home here."
Suu Kyi, who studied in India, however, refused to speak in Hindi when requested by the press to do so.
"I would not like to risk that.... My Hindi was never the best, you know. So I think I better be safe and sorry and stick to English. Unless you want me to speak Burmese, which I shall be quite willing to," she said.
The charismatic leader was all praise for the jostling press and mediapersons, saying they seem to be "very interested, very vigorous" in their work.
Suu Kyi also planted a sapling of Magnolia Grandiflora (commonly known as Champa) in Parliament premises. She was heard requesting photographers not to step on the plant while taking her pictures.
"I hope you are not stomping on my poor plant... Be careful of the poor plant," she said repeatedly.
Speaker Meira Kumar said she felt honoured and proud to welcome the Myanmarese leader in Parliament.
"She has gone through long years of sacrifice and struggle and suffering to establish democracy. She is today a world icon," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH