Suu Kyi pays tribute to Mahatma Gandhi, Nehru
New Delhi: Chairperson of the National League of Democracy of Myanmar Aung San Suu Kyi paid tribute at the Samadhis of Mahatma Gandhi and Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru here on Wednesday.
Myanmar`s pro-democracy leader, who arrived in India for a week-long visit, will meet Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh and also deliver the Nehru Memorial Lecture on the occasion of the birth Anniversary of Pandit Nehru today.
During her visit, Suu Kyi is scheduled to call on Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid.
Suu Kyi will also visit her alma mater, Lady Sri Ram College, where she will interact with the faculty and students, and also visit The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) in Gurgaon.
Besides her engagements in Delhi, she will be travelling to Bangalore where she will visit the Indian Institute of Science and the Infosys Campus.
Suu Kyi spent several years in India during her early days when her mother Daw Khin Yi was Ambassador to India. She also spent some time as a Fellow at the Institute of Advanced Study in Shimla in 1987.
The close and friendly relations between India and Myanmar have been strengthened in the recent past through exchanges of high level visits, including the State visits of the President of Myanmar to India in October 2011 and the Prime Minister of India to Myanmar in May 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- GSGMC demands to remove DU book's chapter calling Bhagat Singh a terrorist
- Bizarre selfie craze: 15-year-old boy shoots self in Pathankot, lands in hospital
- Quota stir in Gujarat phase-II: Hardik Patel's PAAS to begin 'lollipop Mahotsav' protest from today
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video