Swami Aseemanand sent to judicial custody
Panchkula: Hindutva activist Swami Aseemanand, in custody for his alleged involvement in the 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts, was Thursday sent to 14-day judicial remand by a special National Investigation Agency (NIA) court here.
Aseemanand, who was presented before the court amid tight security, will be lodged to Ambala jail, around 35 km from here.
The proceedings were held in-camera and no media person was allowed to enter the courtroom while Aseemanand was presented before the judge.
The NIA special judge had sent Aseemanand to 10-day police remand on Jan 3.
Aseemanand, a member of the right-wing Hindu group Abhinav Bharat, was brought here from Hyderabad on warrant Dec 23. He is also an accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad in which 14 people were killed.
The NIA is questioning Aseemanand about his role in the Samjhauta Express blasts Feb 18, 2007, at Diwana village near the industrial town of Panipat, 160 km from here, in Haryana.
The blasts, which killed 68 people, took place in two bogies of the Samjhauta Express, a peace train between India and Pakistan. A majority of the 68 victims were Pakistani nationals.
The train was going from Delhi to Attari, the last station on the Indian side. The passengers were to board the Samjhauta Express train to Lahore city in Pakistan the next day (Feb 19).
Aseemanand was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Nov 19 last year from Haridwar in Uttarakhand for his alleged role in the Mecca Masjid blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder