Swami Nityananda gives first discourse
Bangalore: Swami Nityananda, the godman involved in a sex scandal, gave his first public discourse after being released from jail on bail here on Sunday.
Speaking to his devotees for the first time in almost four months Nityananda spoke about his experience during his stay in prison.
Speaking amid a packed hall of devotees from across the country and abroad, Nityananda said he bears no hatred towards anyone.
Taking snipe at the media coverage over the sex scandal involving the Swami and an actress from the Southern film industry, Nityanand compared the coverage with the news of death of Michael Jackson.
“I heard from some devotee who was reporting to me (that) she had brought an article saying that in internet history only twice jamming has happened in the internet due to traffic, one Michael Jackson death, second Nityananda scandal,” said Nityananda.
Devotees were overwhelmed by the return of their master and turned up in huge numbers to show their support.
“I am very happy because I felt that we are very used to hear Swami-ji talking and many of us are practising his teachings and techniques of meditation. So to have him talk again is very good news for us,” said Chandrananda.
“As a devotee it has been a testing time not listening to swami-ji. Swami-ji is our life, like what he says, what he is going to teach us, those are the words we are looking forward to. So this was very hard time for us, last 80 days and now we want to listen to what he has to say,” said Arpit.
On June 13 Nityanand performed a self-purification rite by lighting fires all around him.
The swami was released from jail on June 12 after the Karnataka High Court granted him bail on June 11.
Nityananda, who was behind bars for over 50 days, is facing several criminal charges, including rape.
The godman, who has a sprawling ashram at Bidadi, about 30 km from Bangalore, was arrested from northern Himachal Pradesh state on April 21, more than a month after a TV channel telecast video footage showing him in a sexual act with a woman, believed to be a Tamil actress.
Nityananda was arrested on several criminal charges, including molestation, hurting religious sentiments and fraud.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state