Swamy seeks to assist CBI in 2G scam case
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian
Swamy on Monday told a special court that he should be associated
in the 2G spectrum allocation case as he is willing to assist
the CBI in a "formal way".
"I have to be associated in a formal way with the
CBI`s case. I will be happy to assist them. The court should
give me a formal status and I do not think CBI would have any
problem in this," Swamy told Special CBI Judge O P Saini.
The court, however, asked the CBI that whether Swamy`s
private complaint, which sought prosecution of former telecom
minister and prime accused A Raja in the 2G case and his
appointment as public prosecutor, could be tagged with the
agency`s FIR in the case.
The court deferred the matter for further hearing on
May 4 after the CBI sought two weeks time to file its response
in the matter.
"Submissions regarding applicability of section 210
CrPC heard and thereafter deferred on the prayer of public
prosecutor. Put up on May 4 for further proceedings, as prayed
by the prosecutor to which the complainant (Swamy) has no
objection," the court said.
During the hearing, Swamy said that although the CBI
is probing the matter and has filed the chargesheet, his
private complaint has wider ambit in some aspects.
"The scope of my application (private complaint)
overlaps with the CBI case, but in some cases its ambit is
wider than that of the CBI`s FIR," Swamy said.
Swamy added that he is willing to assist the CBI and
Special Public Prosecutor U U Lalit, who has been appointed by
the Supreme Court as a prosecutor in this case.
On this, the judge asked Swamy that whether he wants
his private complaint to be tagged with the CBI`s FIR.
The Janata Party chief replied that he do not have any
problem in this but questioned about his status if his private
complaint is tagged with the agency`s FIR.
On being asked about it, CBI prosecutor A K Singh said
that they need at least two weeks time to respond on this and
also told the court that Swamy should make a formal plea
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor