Swamy seeks to assist CBI in 2G scam case
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian
Swamy on Monday told a special court that he should be associated
in the 2G spectrum allocation case as he is willing to assist
the CBI in a "formal way".
"I have to be associated in a formal way with the
CBI`s case. I will be happy to assist them. The court should
give me a formal status and I do not think CBI would have any
problem in this," Swamy told Special CBI Judge O P Saini.
The court, however, asked the CBI that whether Swamy`s
private complaint, which sought prosecution of former telecom
minister and prime accused A Raja in the 2G case and his
appointment as public prosecutor, could be tagged with the
agency`s FIR in the case.
The court deferred the matter for further hearing on
May 4 after the CBI sought two weeks time to file its response
in the matter.
"Submissions regarding applicability of section 210
CrPC heard and thereafter deferred on the prayer of public
prosecutor. Put up on May 4 for further proceedings, as prayed
by the prosecutor to which the complainant (Swamy) has no
objection," the court said.
During the hearing, Swamy said that although the CBI
is probing the matter and has filed the chargesheet, his
private complaint has wider ambit in some aspects.
"The scope of my application (private complaint)
overlaps with the CBI case, but in some cases its ambit is
wider than that of the CBI`s FIR," Swamy said.
Swamy added that he is willing to assist the CBI and
Special Public Prosecutor U U Lalit, who has been appointed by
the Supreme Court as a prosecutor in this case.
On this, the judge asked Swamy that whether he wants
his private complaint to be tagged with the CBI`s FIR.
The Janata Party chief replied that he do not have any
problem in this but questioned about his status if his private
complaint is tagged with the agency`s FIR.
On being asked about it, CBI prosecutor A K Singh said
that they need at least two weeks time to respond on this and
also told the court that Swamy should make a formal plea
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre