Swamy to contest EC decision on Congress
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy Wednesday decided to move court challenging the Election Commission`s decision rejecting his petition for de-recognition of Congress.
He shot off a letter to the Commission a day after it dismissed his petition for de-recongition of Congress on the ground that the party violated laws by providing a Rs 90 crore loan to Associates Journals which ran the now-defunct National Herald newspaper.
Maintaining that he was not given an opportunity to present his case from a legal point of view, he said Election Commission must realise that it has not only to dispense justice as a Tribunal but they must be seen to have dispensed justice.
"In my petition that was before you regarding which you have washed off your hands of conducting an inquiry, and through the motivated leaks to the newspapers in advance of the view you took on my petition.
"...The Election Commission has in fact suffered a serious loss of credibility amongst the people. I shall now have to settle the issues in Court," he said.
Seeking to find fault with EC`s decision, he said the Commission has "essentially washed off" its hands by stating that it has no power to de-recognize a political party for violating Section 29A-C of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 and there was a need for hearings before taking a final call.
"These sub-sections specify what a party can do and therefore by harmonious construction with the General Clauses Act it should be taken to mean that omission of any activity from those approved under these sub-Sections is prohibited.
"Hence this is an arguable point of law on which you ought to have conducted hearings and heard both sides," he said.
Swamy alleged that when AICC starts giving loans that ends up in buying real estate and public interests are to be safeguarded. "It is truly the question of interpretation as to the scope and your responsibility under the Model Code of Conduct," he said.
He also accused the Commission of adopting double standards, claiming that it sat on a petition seeking "de-registration" of his party following his remarks in an article in a newspaper.
Swamy said the EC sent the petition to him for comments despite the fact that Supreme Court had earlier held that it had no power to re-register any party.
When he pointed out this, he alleged, the Commission "sat on his petition and did nothing whereas in my petition to regarding Congress` violation of the election law, you moved so swiftly that I wonder whether you had any time even to reflect on the precedents".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow