Swaraj demands probe into FM`s office `bugging`
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday termed as a "big joke"
the Intelligence Bureau`s "chewing gum theory" regarding the
alleged bugging of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee`s office
and demanded a thorough probe into the matter.
"The allegation of spying at Pranab Mukherjee`s office is
a serious matter. The Finance Minister himself may try to
dismiss it...he may be under some compulsions. But the country
wants to know," Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma
"The IB`s chewing gum theory is a big joke," she said.
Swaraj said Mukherjee`s complaint to the Prime Minister
in September regarding discovery of "planted adhesives" at 16
places in North Block -- including his own office, his adviser
Omita Paul`s room, his private secretary Manoj Pant`s office
and two conference rooms -- should be taken seriously.
"As far as the allegations are concerned, two questions
can be raised... whether the spying was being carried out by
the government itself against its Finance Minister or some
corporate house was doing it. In both the situations, it is a
serious issue," the BJP leader said.
Slamming the IB, which concluded that the adhesive may
just be chewing gum left behind by maintenance staff, she
said, "If they give such a childish argument and expect the
country to believe that those were chewing gums, people will
laugh and ask from where did such an intelligent chewing gum
has come... (that) sticks itself wherever it goes.
"Even Pranab must be knowing the difference between
adhesive and chewing gum. I demand the government should take
his letter seriously and conduct a thorough probe."
Swaraj said if the government was doing it, that reflects
the "trust deficit" between the ministers and if some
corporate house was involved, then it is a serious security
"That is why I called it the Watergate of India. There
(in the US) it was done against the opposition. Then also the
American President had to resign. Here it is against their own
FM...the country should know the truth," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'