Swearing-in of Maharashtra ministers tomorrow
Mumbai: The expansion of Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan`s council of ministers has been postponed from Thursday evening to Friday morning as the Congress is yet to shortlist its names, official sources said.
Chavan who left for New Delhi Wednesday evening is still held up there for finalising his new team. He has held meetings with the top party leadership, including party president Sonia Gandhi, her political secretary Ahmed Patel and others in the capital.
The Congress and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) had decided to adhere to the 2009 portfolio sharing arrangement - 23 and 20 berths respectively - paving the way for the swearing-in of the remaining ministers.
The issue was resolved after a marathon meeting between the Congress and NCP leaders held at the residence of ailing union Agriculture Minister and NCP chief Sharad Pawar Wednesday.
Earlier Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar had demanded one extra portfolio, which would have taken the NCP`s share to 21, but this was rejected by the Congress as its share would have been reduced to 22.
This will be the second round of swearing-in after Chavan and Pawar took oath a week ago. Along with them, nine NCP ministers, including heavyweights like Chhagan Bhujbal and RR Patil, were sworn-in.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing