Swine flu claims first victim in Himachal
Shimla/Chennai: Swine flu claimed its first victim in Himachal Pradesh on Saturday with a 55-year-old woman succumbing to the fever while 29 persons tested positive for the disease in Tamil Nadu.
The woman who died at Indira Gandhi Medical College in Shimla was referred to the hospital from Sarkaghat in Mandi district after she complained of fever and cough and tested positive for H1N1, Medical Superintendent Dr KS Rana said.
"She was brought here at a very late stage when the lungs normally get affected and could not be saved" he added.
This was the first case of swine flu and first casualty
in the state and as a precaution, all cases of fever and cough
are being tested for swine flu virus, he added.
As a precaution, the State Surveillance unit has already
sounded an alert in the state and directions have been issued
to all the Chief Medical Officers (CMOs) and Medical Colleges
to remain vigilant and test all influenza like cases for swine
Meanwhile, sources in IGMC said five samples were tested
for swine flu on Friday but they tested negative.
Twenty-nine persons have so far tested positive for the
disease in Tamil Nadu, Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr
VS Vijay said. However, instances of the virus are not
"endemic but sporadic," he said asking people not to panic.
Those who have tested positive mainly hail from the
districts of Chennai, Coimbatore and Tirupur, he told
reporters in Chennai.
A 75 year-old farmer from Tirupur district died due to
swine flu last week. Twenty-six of his relatives have been
administered with preventive vaccine, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested