Swiss embassy calls for swift probe into gang-rape case
New Delhi: Distressed over gang-rape of its national in Madhya Pradesh, Switzerland on Saturday sought a "swift" investigation into the incident so that the victim gets justice.
Strongly reacting to the incident in which the Swiss citizen was gang-raped by seven to eight persons last night, the embassy here said the health and treatment of the victim was the priority for them at the moment.
The Swiss embassy also got in touch with authorities in Madhya Pradesh and requested for speedy probe into the incident.
Swiss Ambassador Linus von Castelmur has already spoken to the victim and assured her of all help.
"The embassy is most distressed with the gangrape of a Swiss national in Madhya Pradesh. The Ambassador has been able to speak to the victim and her partner and has assured them of all possible support. Their health and treatment is the priority of the moment.”
"The embassy has also been in touch with the local authorities and has requested for swift investigation and for justice to be done," the Swiss embassy said in a statement.
The 39-year-old Swiss female tourist on a cycling trip with her husband was gang-raped by seven to eight people at a forest area in Datia district of Madhya Pradesh last night, police said.
The incident took place at Jharia village, eight km near Datia town, at around 9 pm last.
Twenty people have already been detained on the basis of suspicion and are being questioned in connection with the incident, DIG (Chambal range) DK Arya said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video