Swiss woman gang-rape: Professor records statement in MP court
Datia (Madhya Pradesh): A professor, who facilitated registration of FIR after the alleged gangrape of a Swiss tourist in the district last month, on Monday recorded his statement before a special court here.
Ratan Suryawanshi recorded his statement before additional district judge Jitendra Kumar Sharma, according to sources in prosecution.
Suryawanshi, who teaches English at a government college here, had helped police in overcoming the language barrier and subsequent registration of FIR after the Swiss couple approached them following the incident on March 15.
The trial in the case began on March 30.
The court also completed recording of the statement of prosecution witness Bhagwat Gurjar, even though the Swiss couple could not participate in the court proceedings as they have reportedly left the country.
The court posted the next hearing for tomorrow which will take place in a fast-track manner, the sources said.
The 39-year-old Swiss tourist was allegedly gang-raped on March 15 when she was camping along with her male companion in a tent here.
Following the incident, police arrested Baba, Bhuthda, Gaza alias Brajesh, Vishnu Kanjar and Nitin Kanjar as accused.
Except Nitin and Vishnu Kanjar, who were charged with assault and robbery, all others have been charged with gang-rape.
The incident had triggered outrage and even rocked the state Assembly following which it was adjourned sine die.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Veteran batsman Mohammad Hafeez highest earning Pakistani cricketer: PCB
- Maoist to make bid to bring all parties on board to form govt
- Rio medals devalued! Absence of Russian stars hurts 2016 Olympic Games: Vladimir Putin
- Antrix-Devas deal: India to appeal against Hague tribunal's verdict
- Development initiatives got huge setback in J&K: Mehbooba