Swiss woman gang-rape: Professor records statement in MP court
Datia (Madhya Pradesh): A professor, who facilitated registration of FIR after the alleged gangrape of a Swiss tourist in the district last month, on Monday recorded his statement before a special court here.
Ratan Suryawanshi recorded his statement before additional district judge Jitendra Kumar Sharma, according to sources in prosecution.
Suryawanshi, who teaches English at a government college here, had helped police in overcoming the language barrier and subsequent registration of FIR after the Swiss couple approached them following the incident on March 15.
The trial in the case began on March 30.
The court also completed recording of the statement of prosecution witness Bhagwat Gurjar, even though the Swiss couple could not participate in the court proceedings as they have reportedly left the country.
The court posted the next hearing for tomorrow which will take place in a fast-track manner, the sources said.
The 39-year-old Swiss tourist was allegedly gang-raped on March 15 when she was camping along with her male companion in a tent here.
Following the incident, police arrested Baba, Bhuthda, Gaza alias Brajesh, Vishnu Kanjar and Nitin Kanjar as accused.
Except Nitin and Vishnu Kanjar, who were charged with assault and robbery, all others have been charged with gang-rape.
The incident had triggered outrage and even rocked the state Assembly following which it was adjourned sine die.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH